Disaster Pending - I am going to make stuff, like toothpaste,

So, the other night when I was supposed to be working on a history assignment, I had this thought.  Why am I not making more of my own stuff?  As in, why am I spending all this money on hair care products (most of which do not help as advertised), toothpaste, body wash, etc.  So, again instead of working on my history assignment (sorry professor) I posed this question on my personal Facebook account, 

I have been tossing around the idea to try making my own beauty products (shampoo, etc). I know a few of you out there do this already, ideas on recipes??

I was surprised, though I guess I should not have been, at how many responses I received and I started thinking that perhaps this crazy plan might be worth trying.  Then I saw this documentary on Netflix called No Impact Man about this guy who decided to try and eliminate his carbon footprint and take his family along the for the ride.  My family is not as supportive as his, and honestly I do not see myself as that dedicated.  I would like to see what I could change though, think more lower impact girl.  

I am not certain if I will be able to do any of it and I am not committed enough to throw stuff out and just dive in, that seems like a recipe for a giganto binge on whatever I had tossed and it would seem like a waste of money, which also seems counterproductive.  

I think the most dramatic thing I am considering, at least in my head, is an attempt to follow a "no-poo
method" for my haircare.  The name is great, right? It just means that I am going to attempt (and I suspect this is going to be all kinds of disaster) to convince my hair that it no longer wants shampoo and conditioner and try to use baking soda and vinegar instead.  The no-poo refers to avoiding shampoo and all its chemicals (which sounds good in my head).  I have super fine hair, so I am envisioning some horrible hair days.  I won't be attempting that part of my experiment until winter break since I could avoid other humans easier then.  


So, there it is.  My newest crazy plan.  I am going to start with homemade toothpaste, since it seems like the least dramatic and least threatening to my current routine.  Then as my body wash runs out, I'll switch over to a natural soap or something.  And, when the shampoo goes, I'll go lo-poo until winter break.  It will be an interesting experiment. 

Other than the fact that my plan seemed really brilliant late one night, I am also considering things like saving money, and being able to have control over what I put on myself.  I have been trying to be even more stringent about avoiding gluten since I have noticed an increase lately in the severity of my reactions.  

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. 

So, how about any of you out there?  Do you make any of your own products? Let me know.

--Jenna

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeitgeist and the month of December…