Gluten Free Almond Pear Cardamom Pancakes -- found on Simply Gluten Free Blog

If you are entering the world of gluten free eating, like I am considering, you will realize quickly that there are alot of bad recipes out there. I have heard this over and over from friends who are gluten free and that it is really difficult to discover the good from the bad and that most of them rely on recommendations from other people. Well, we have to start somewhere.

I received a recommendation to read this fabulous blog -- Simply Gluten Freeand I have to say - yummy! So many amazing recipes. Really yummy looking stuff.

I have been craving pancakes, which I don't normally eat often, this whole week so far. Amazing what your brain gets stuck on when you are avoiding something.

Here's the recipe I settled on for my first foray out into the world of gluten-free cooking:

All the little **notes are what I did, when I had to substitute...

Gluten Free Almond Pear Cardamom Pancakes
Ingredients

2 large eggs **I used fresh from the farm ones, that I think perhaps were a little on the smallish side, probably should have used 3 of them**
¼ cup agave nectar or honey **I didn't have any, so I used regular honey, but less of it.. not even really sure if that is GF**
¼ cup almond milk (or water) **my almond milk was vanilla flavored**
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1½ cups blanched, finely ground almond meal **I couldn't find almond meal, so I used Arrowhead Mills All Purpose Baking Mix**
½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder **I used cornstarch, because again, couldn't find arrowroot powder**
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
3 medium pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1/8 – ¼ inch dice **my pears were not super ripe, so I only used one

Directions

In a blender combine all ingredients except the pears. Process on high speed until smooth a fully combined, 1- 2 minutes. Pour batter into a mixing bowl and fold in the diced pears.

Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Spray lightly with gluten-free non-stick cooking spray. Ladle in about 2 tablespoons per pancake. Cook until the tops form small bubbles and the edges start to look dry, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until the bottom is browned and the pancake feels firm, about 1 more minute. Transfer cooked pancakes to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve with a good quality non-dairy spread such as Earth Balance (or butter if dairy is not an issue) and maple syrup if desired.

Makes 12 pancakes.

created by Carol Kicinski of Simply...Gluten-free - www.simplygluten-free.blogspot.com

The amazing thing is I shared these with my mom and dad and they both liked them too! They are not exactly like non-gluten free pancakes, but really yummy anyway!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeitgeist and the month of December…