On the menu tonight - Leek and Potato Soup (low fat)

As I am really having to focus on getting my weight down - it's back to the low fat recipes for me. So far, things are going rather well. I have been more focused and really obsessing over labels (is it time to meet with the dietician yet???) and every website I can find about nutrition, diet, and on and on.

Anyhow, this is actually on the menu tomorrow, but I've had it before and it's rather tasty. You can certainly up the spice and herb levels to taste (I usually do).

I swiped this one from a Weight Watchers cookbook (Make it in Minutes) I have had for a while. They really have some tasty stuff and most of it is easy to modify (which I love).

It makes 6 servings (generous 1 cup each)

Potato Leek Soup

1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
2 leeks, pale green and white parts only, cleaned and chopped
4 cups fat free, reduced - sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 half and half (I use fat free)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

Instructions (super simple, don't you love it?)

1. Combine the potatoes, leeks, broth and thyme in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

2. Puree the soup in a food processor (which I don't always do.. I like my soups chunky) or blender, in batches, if necessary. Return the soup to the pan, stir in the half-and-half, salt and pepper, and cook for a 1 minute longer to heat through.

My other favorite if you happen to pick up the book is the Polynesian Chicken on pg. 58...its definitely not as low-fat so more of a rare treat, but oh so tasty!

Happy Cooking!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeitgeist and the month of December…