And the book goes on...

I have been reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. It was recommended to me by a friend of mine. The largest challenge has been finding the time. I am an avid reader and usually blast through books like they are nothing.

I think this one may have some kind of space-time-continuum-vortex thingy in the middle of it. It's roughly 1000 pages and I swear that I have been "halfway" through for weeks, but it doesn't seem to be making a dent! aaargh!

This said, it is a fabulous read. Roberts has an amazing way with words. At times, his descriptions border on the poetic even when he is describing such horrible things as prison torture and outbreaks of cholera. And laced through it all is a wonderful story of a man trying to find himself and the relationships he has with the people he meets along the way.

Like I said, I'm not finished with it yet, and I do not think I would recommend it to everyone, but it's really good for those that would appreciate it. I am loving it much in the same way that I loved On the Road by Jack Kerouac. It is a glimpse into a world that it is very unlikely I would ever find myself.

Comments

moardy said…
Thanks for the recommendation! I've been looking for a new book and it sounds like something I might be interested in :)

Popular posts from this blog

Zeitgeist and the month of December…