Coyote Dreams

I saw a coyote today on the way to Las Vegas. While they are around and about, I have not seen as many of them as I used to. He was loping along across this open field and had he not been moving, I would have missed him. To me, the coyote is the symbol of all that is wild and good about this land. Most days I can't stand where I am and I just want to get in the car and leave, but then I would miss the coyotes, jack rabbits, cottontails and hawks of this country.

In these wide open spaces, there is life and there is beauty, but you have to look so much harder for it than in other places.

Most days, I feel stifled and trapped. These brown, muted colors all blend together in one big blob of a pastelly nightmare. This is not a land with which speaks easily to me. I miss the coastal green of the Northwest and the rough salty smell of the sea - it is what I dream of at night.

This land is intriguing and I am learning to respect it. I don't know that I will ever love it, but I may in time find some affection for it. I am not sure where he was off to, but I hope it was somewhere pleasant.

At the moment I saw him, he was free and moving with a purpose towards his future. Off to live his life, love and probably find dinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zeitgeist and the month of December…