Thursday, April 4, 2013

Review: The Host


The Host
The Host by Stephenie Meyer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Now I have to take back some of the bad things I have said about Stephanie Meyer as author. I still loathe the Twilight series, but I was very intrigued by the number of people who recommended this book to me, many who were not fans of Twilight.

I have to say also that the Host is one of those books that makes you sound a little crazy when you try to describe it to people who don't normally read in the genre, but you know would love it. I mean... You will love this book see there are these aliens... Kinda loses people right there.

While I still have issues with the editing and a strange lack of description in the writing the story is incredibly compelling. It's about so much more than aliens and human resistance. The internal journey that the alien, known as Wanderer, walks as she experiences what it is to be human and the understanding she gains because of her host, Melanie Stryder, is something I found profoundly moving.

If you do not have any real experience in the Southwest you may not feel immersed in the world (the strange lack of detail I mentioned above) but I would still recommend it.

I understand from friends that the movie has stripped out all that I found compelling in the novel though they all said it was well cast. It is sad that the movie is more of an angtsy action flick because I did not find the book to be any of those things.

I was also sad to see there are plans for a couple of sequels because I felt like this book was complete on its own. I can only hope that the next book will be set sometime down the road with new characters.



View all my reviews

No comments: