Friday, March 22, 2013

Review: Crown of Ash


Crown of Ash
Crown of Ash by Steven Montano

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I love watching the evolution of an author as they work through a series. The worlds become more real and the characters deepen and seem like someone that perhaps might come by for tea. Well, maybe not the characters in Montano's book, tea might seem frivolous and strange after what they have all been through.

What I am loving so much more than I ever thought I would about this series (because it truly is outside of my normal reading) is the way the characters are with each other. These are people, friends, lovers and even enemies, but they all seem real to me. They are not superficial creations, they have real problems, real weaknesses and I love them and admire them for that.

And, I love the way Steven uses words. His descriptions can be bold, raw and in your face, but so is the situation his characters are in. The simple, happy moments, for most part linger in their memories, but you see them too.

If you haven't picked up Blood Skies, the first novel, do yourself a favor and try it out. And, then, keep going.



View all my reviews

No comments: